(Anthologized in Spike Gillespie’s Pissed Off: Women and Anger. Seal Press, 2006)
My mother and I had an understanding, or so I thought. Beginning
when I was in my teens, she would fail to understand me and I would strike the
match under a seething anger and resentment towards her. I would spend my
twenties fanning those flames, furious that she was not the mother I wanted her
to be. She would admit no wrongdoing and I would acknowledge no right doing. I
was unsure how we would reach the inevitable point where she realized the error
of her ways and came to me, repentant, begging to be forgiven.
At that point, I imagined, I would forgive her and all would
be well. Sort of. We would move forward, our relationship changed, both of us
operating with the knowledge of how wrong she had been. Her love for me would
be filled with regret and eagerness to make up for all her transgressions and
mine would be gracious, slightly guarded and forgiving – but not forgetting. This
was how I planned to manage my resentment towards her over the course of our
lifetimes.
When I was 32, however, my mother threw a wrench into my
plans. On a chilly Sunday morning in October, she suffered a massive heart
attack and passed away two weeks after her 60th birthday. There had
been no warning signs, no inkling at all that our family was about to change
shape in the most drastic way possible. My mother left us reeling from a shock
so great that the days following her death remain largely a blur to me. My
immediate reactions included the textbook mixture of disbelief, denial, guilt
and a pain so strong and searing, it felt physical.
What amazed me most, however, was what I felt within a few
short months of her demise: my anger at my mother returned to me, fresher and
hotter than ever. I was furious.
I was, of course, no stranger to anger or, more
specifically, the simmering resentment it leaves in its wake. Over the years, I
had culled massive amounts of self-righteous bitterness. I resented my family
for the genetic legacy that was depression, obesity, near-sightedness, chronic
sarcasm, alcoholism and the overwhelming urge to correct other people’s
grammar. I resented my sister for being born first, my brother for being born
last and another brother for being so goddamn smart. I resented the exes who
dared move on with their lives and all the former teachers, employers, friends
and coworkers who had failed to acknowledge my greatness. I resented people for
taking my parking spot, for having 12 items when the sign clearly stated no
more than ten, for daring to procreate and then raising children with bad
manners.
I didn’t just have these resentments, either, clustered at
the bottom of my purse like loose change. I lived
in them. At some point over the years, it had become a full time job – and not
a particularly pleasant one. I wanted out. In my therapist (and in the 12-step
program with which I was already involved), I found the guidance I needed to
dig out some of my anger and scrutinize it.
I had to fully acknowledge that there is a difference
between righteous and self-righteous anger – and I had to embrace the painful
truth that most of mine fit in the latter category. My anger wasn’t just
self-righteous, however. It was also self-defeating. It was eating me up. Certainly,
a number of my relationships had suffered as a result of my anger and
resentment, but at the end of the day, I
was the one with the bile building up inside. It festered inside me. No one
else.
I came to understand that what really angered me about my
mother was that she wasn’t the mother I needed or wanted her to be. In other
words, her main transgression against me was that she was herself. I was the one who couldn’t accept it,
who expected her to be someone different and then punished her with my anger
for being who she was. In fact, as I fanned out many of my resentments for inspection,
every single one of them existed because of my failure to accept. I was railing
against people, circumstances, events, odds and outcomes that simply were. I discovered at 32 that I was
still throwing tantrums like a child who has her ball taken away. I was angry
at the person, the situation and, hell, even the ball.
The most motivating factor in doing something about these
resentments was my increasing awareness that I simply didn’t want to carry
around all that weight anymore. I was tired of being angry, exhausted by grief,
and unwilling to continue being a person of unreasonable expectations. After
all, as people around me pointed out, there wasn’t much I could do about these
things. Being angry at the person, the situation, the ball – none of it changed
the outcome. In fact, it rarely changed the person and certainly never the
ball. My anger was not the righteous sort inspiring nations to change for the
good. No, it was selfish and indulgent, short-sighted and miserly – the very
same things I had once thought of my mother.
As it happens, letting go of many of my resentments was not
nearly as difficult as reaching a place of acceptance. In fact, once I arrived
in such a place, I was surprised to find certain resentments just petered out,
robbed of fuel. Others require yet more work, both in letting go and in making
living amends to those I have harmed.
My mother is gone and I’m unable to tell her my regrets. I
know now that she and I were both very different and very similar and had I
reached this understanding while she lived, we still likely wouldn’t have been
close – but I doubt there would have been the animosity I breathed into our
exchanges. That said, I can’t afford to replace my anger with guilt, especially
over circumstances that I can’t change. What I can do, however, is change the
relationships I do have now – try to be a slightly better daughter to my
father, a better sister, granddaughter, friend and wife.
None of this has made me perfect – or even consistent – in
the way in which I deal with anger and resentment in my life. An arrogant
driver, rude waiter or unreliable friend can still inspire in me anger I seethe
from hours later. But I’m slowly learning that as I let go of my resentments,
it leaves a lot more space. In that space, I’m able to build a fuller, more
peaceful life. Most of the time, anyway.
This is beautifully written and wonderfully honest, Julia. I really enjoyed reading it. And I can relate all too well with that mother-daughter relationship filled with, in my case, silent spite shoved deep down and coated with agreeable smiles that secretly have me grinding my teeth and squeezing my fists tight. I hope I can be as forgiving and able to let go of that resentment as you one day. Thanks for the share and the hope!
ReplyDeleteI thought I was the only one who was super pissed off at her mom! I guess I knew that wasn't true, but I often wish I could have a better relationship with her, like the ones I see (or think I see) all around me. Thanks for sharing your essay!
ReplyDeleteHi, Bess. I published this essay nearly eight years ago now - why I chose to toss it up here is perhaps another issue entirely - and I've grown since I wrote this. Still, the fact that we had a difficult relationship is simply fact - and I regret all the time that she didn't live long enough for us to come to consistently good terms. I think one of the hardest things for me, when she died, was that everyone assumes your relationship with your mother is a talk-on-the-phone-daily kind, or a best-friends-forever kind, and I found it really hard to find room to grieve a different kind of relationship. Think that's why I wrote this in the first place.
DeleteI loved this Julia. You have that wonderfully wry sense of humor, even in a piece as emotional and painful as this one. Great to read, I'm so glad you put it on our site.
ReplyDelete